FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Are your classes convenient?
We have many classes every day. Please refer to the schedule for current class times. When our classes are not going on and a staff member is present, members are welcome to use the mats, bags, or our weight room and cardio area.
I do not want to get hit and or spar. Is that going to happen here?
Not unless you want to. We do spar in all of our striking based classes except for Fitness Kickboxing. Sparring is not a requirement for any class. If you do spar we will provide you with a safe and controlled environment to do this.
How do I become part of the MMA/Boxing/Muay Thai/Judo/BJJ/SW competition teams?
To become a member of the fight or competition team you must first be patient, work hard and be consistent with your training. It takes time to develop the proper skills and fitness level it takes to become a fighter and/or competitor. The coaches and instructors will let you know when that time has come for you to begin competition.
Can I borrow equipment?
We have loaner equipment for trial members of Memphis Judo & Jiu-Jitsu. No equipment is necessary to try a class at Memphis Judo & Jiu-Jitsu.
All members should have their own equipment within 3-4 weeks of signing up as a member. After becoming a member please be sure to ask the gym manager what equipment you will need for your particular discipline
Do I have to fight or compete to be a member of Memphis Judo & Jiu-Jitsu?
No. Most of our members are training for fun/fitness/self defense. If you would like to take your game to the next level and try competition then we are happy to assist you and will make competition opportunities available to you. However, we will not push you in that direction.
What should I know before trying class the first time?
The first time entering any gym can be a very intimidating experience. Here is a list of things to do and things not to do and what to bring.
- Athletic attire: Shorts, T-Shirt, etc
- Positive attitude. This is not going to be easy. This is not running on a tread mill. It’s going to be challenging, especially on the first day. No one is particularly splendid on their first day of classes.
- Your parent with you if you are under 18
Nice to have:
- We have loaner equipment for every class for trial members. However, if you have your own equipment (boxing gloves, gi, etc.), please bring it.
- Change of clothes.
- Flip flops, sandals, etc. We require members to wear some type of footwear when off the mats at all times.
- Water bottle.
What to do:
- Check your ego at the door. People here are very nice, patient and helpful. We promote a friendly team atmosphere. If your goal is to be the tough guy/girl here then please find another gym..
- Practice good hygiene. Bathe/wear deodorant/wear clean clothes.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the class start time.
- Check in with the front desk upon arrival for your first class.
- Ask questions. We are here to help you with any question you may have.
How many classes may I do per week?
All of our membership options are unlimited for each class. So if you sign up to do Fitness Kickboxing you can do as many Fitness Kickboxing classes that you would like. We do have membership packages that offer members access to all classes that we offer day or evening. All of our memberships allow unlimited use of the gym facilities (weights, bags, etc.).
What makes Memphis Judo & Jiu-Jitsu’s Fitness Kickboxing classes different from cardio kickboxing or Tae Bo classes?
Our classes are taught by one of our professional fighters and martial artists. We teach the same movements and drills that our fighters use to prepare for competition. You train on a Muay Thai style heavy bag which adds resistance to the workout. This is one of the most effective ways that we have found to get in shape and have fun while doing it.
What types of memberships does Memphis Judo & Jiu-Jitsu offer?
- Fitness Kickboxing membership: Access to all Fitness Kickboxing classes offered day or evening.
- Muay Thai Kickboxing: Access to all Muay Thai classes offered day or evening as well as the MMA and BJJ classes.
- Grappling membership: Access to all Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Submission Wrestling, and Judo classes offered day or evening as well as the MMA and Muay Thai classes.
- Unlimited membership: Access to all classes offered day or evening.
- Boxing membership: Access to unlimited Boxing training day or evening.
- Kids Judo & Jiu-Jitsu: Access to all Kids classes offered unlimited
- Kids Karate: Access to all Kids Karate classes offered unlimited
- Judo membership: Access to all Judo classes offered unlimited
How do I get started?
Call us at (901) 590-2492 or message us here on this website. We can answer your questions and help you schedule an appointment to try a free introductory class and begin your martial arts / fitness journey.